Hi! I’m Kailan. Most days you can find me doing the Mom thing – walking to and from the bus stop, feeding hungry tummies, shuttling kids to dance class and music class, and trying to accomplish those endless household chores! I have a daughter and a son who keep me busy, give the best snuggles, and help motivate me to create screen-free toys to engage their imagination!
In between that (and let’s face it – mostly late at night when all are sleeping), I’m the Quiet Book Queen! I love to help parents and grandparents make their own Quiet Books in a super easy, more cost-effective way by organizing Quiet Book Swaps. This was the first component of my business, and swap day NEVER gets old.
I’ve since realized I think it’s super fun to design my own Quiet Book pages. I know there are two kinds of people reading this – those who love to sew and tackle their own projects and those who prefer it made and ready to use! This is why I offer page kits and swap groups for those DIYers, and I make individual pages and complete Quiet Books for those of you whose talents and interests lie elsewhere.
Either way, I’m just happy to add some screen-free learning activities in this digitally driven world in which we live. Kids will hop on the technology train soon enough. First, let’s teach them other ways to be entertained. Let’s help them use their imagination. Let’s guide them to interact with others. Let’s give them activities they can have so much fun with, without staring at a screen!
When I’m not busy working on all things Quiet Books (oh, and did you know I have felt story board sets too?) you can catch me at Pilates or spin class, spending time with family, reading, or working on some other sewing or craft related project.
If you’re dying to hear more, here are five things you might not know about me.
- I am a night owl. I would much rather stay up late and sleep in. Early mornings are not for me. But since I have kids, I have to get up early. I still stay up too late (it’s my me-time!) and pay for it the next day (who is with me?!).
- I love to read. I don’t care for super emotional books though. I stick to romance (Nora Roberts is my fav), thrillers, or the popular teen books (Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, etc.) Right now I am loving the Outlander series.
- Concerts are my favorite way to spend a night out. I have seen U2, Tom Petty, Journey, Queen with Adam Lambert, Backstreet Boys, John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band, Sugarland, Styx, Jimmy Buffett, Bruce Springsteen, Duran Duran, Dierks Bentley, Fleetwood Mac, 311, Weezer, Matchbox 20, Aerosmith, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, and I know there are so many I’m missing!
- Before kids, I was a teacher. I taught 3rd grade for one year and 2nd grade for 6 years. I also have my Master’s Degree in Reading & Literacy.
- I didn’t learn to sew until we were ready to start our family. I wanted to make a baby blanket for my future child, and joined a quilting class. I thought it’d be a fun hobby, but little did I know the role it would play in the years to come. It’s a great skill to have, and the possibilities of what you can create are endless!
Still here? Let’s connect! I’d love to hear more about you, and how I can help you!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.